Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Jack is going to California

Alright, alright, enough screwing around. It's time for me to uproot and try something incredibly life-altering before I get too old to do this kind of stuff.

For those of you who don't know me, and why would you be reading this if you didn't, I am Jack, a native Texan. I've lived in Austin almost my entire life (one year in Orlando), and never really planned on moving away. Well, maybe I did. I'm not sure, I just pictured myself here my entire life. I went to the University of Texas and got a film degree and figured Austin was supposed to be the next big movie town outside of Los Angeles and New York, so why leave?

Yeah, that didn't happen so much. There were a few projects that sprung up and showed some kind of life, but then surrounding states started aggressively pursuing films, so the talent in Austin started heading to Shreveport or New Orleans or wherever there was jobs that weren't at Troublemaker studios.

I got a job working for a video game company here in Austin, doing video marketing, virals, sales vids, etc, and had a good time doing that. Spent nearly three years there until I was laid off this past December. I had also done some work with another local video-game based creative group here in Austin as well, but I'm no longer working with them either. No hard feelings, just a Lemony Snicket sized series of unfortunate events led us to part ways.

I was hired back on part time with my game publisher, but money has been cut down considerably and for the first time in my adult life, I'm having to tap in to savings to cover my mortgage. Not the best six months or so.

And that is where we are now. All those events led up to the ultimate conclusion that it was time for me to move to California.

But, but, but...no jobs in Cali! You might say. Not necessarily true. I've done some work with a really great group of guys out in Los Angeles and I'm going to be settling in with them when I get out there. These guys have pulled off some really cool events and I actually had the chance to work with them recently. It went well and I think I can help contribute to the group with my film making background.

Anyway, I don't really have a "place" on the web anymore, so I figured why not chronicle my move from my home in Texas out to California? Also, the occasional funny video or drunken ranting. I've got a few other projects in the works as well, and I'm sure I'll be talking about their progress here.

So, that's it, really. I'll be updating here pretty often as I have a lot of free time on my hands...at least until I figure out exactly what I'm going to be doing with my house. Then I imagine a lot of packing will be going down.

Feel free to stick around, this could get interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment