Sunday, May 17, 2009

Jonathan Coulton: Geek Folk Superstar

I had a few people over the other night to play some Rock Band. A buddy brought over the ION Drum Kit for Rock Band (Holy awesomeness), and there was much drinking of alcohols and playing of musics.

One thing that caught everyone's attention was when I sang Skullcrusher Mountain. Everyone except for Thorr (the ION-owner) had no idea who this musical genius was. (Coulton, not me.) So I tried to explain. Anyway, if you haven't heard of Jonathan Coulton, you need to check him out. Obviously you should check out his website or listen to these videos I've embedded below for your enjoyment.

We'll start with the one that kicked it off for everyone, Skullcrusher Mountain:



Probably his most famous tune, Still Alive, the closing credit song for Portal, the video game (sung here by Felicia Day from Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-Long Blog):



And one of my personal favorites, probably his sweetest track "I'm Your Moon" which is a song sung from Pluto's point of view about it's moon. It's a love song:



And there are so many more. Check out Code Monkey, Shopvac, First of May. All classics. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment